Finally Reviewing Corey Taylor's "Seven Deadly Sins."
Anyone who knows me, knows that I absolutely adore Corey Taylor.
Love as in, my song for him is my own rendition of "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" by the Police because there has not been one thing to pass his lips that I have not loved. Now...the same can be said for the written word.
Seven Deadly Sins: Settling the Argument Between Born Bad and Damaged Good is Taylor's candid account of how bad things could have been, if not for a keen self-awareness and apt soul-searching throughout the course of his life.
Before I continue, let me say: Yes the book came out in 2011. Yes I'm late to the party. But as someone who has lost herself over the course of a few years and is slowly making a come back, I think I deserve a little break.
I'll even admit I was a little hesitant to give this book a go. After all, anything outside of gothic contemporary and general fantasy is kind of out of my comfort zone. But given the author and nature of the book, I persisted.
I'll even admit I was a little hesitant to give this book a go. After all, anything outside of gothic contemporary and general fantasy is kind of out of my comfort zone. But given the author and nature of the book, I persisted.
In his book, Corey more or less argues that those seven sins that we are taught at birth are not deadly at all, but are simply character flaws in the human make up.
His ability to deliver hypothetical nuances while throwing in some of his own personal experience creates a beautifully aggressive and raw atmosphere that is everything I love about Corey Taylor's persona.
I may not necessarily have agreed with all of his viewpoints, nor can I say I connect with his personal experiences, but over all this was a solid read. At times, I found it got a bit rambling, but not enough to stop me from digesting every word. More often than not I found myself re-evaluating my own thoughts on these seven sins of ours and I'll willingly admit this book has made me think more about them now than I think I ever have.
4 out of 5 star read from me.
Comments
Post a Comment